Manduka Pro Yoga Mat Review (August 2020)
So I’m sure we’ve all been there, you bought a yoga mat 5 or 6 years ago and now it feels old so you’re on the lookout for a replacement. Now the yoga mat that we’ve been using is still available to purchase. So do we buy it again or do we make a change? Well today we’re going to be giving the Manduka Pro yoga mat an honest review based on our opinions of it straight out of the box and when we put it through it’s paces. Now a lot has been written about this yoga mat. You can find reviews on Amazon, on a lot of 3rd party websites as well, with commentary, thoughts and opinion as well as just user reviews. However we’ve read articles, reviews and product details as well as tested the product out ourselves to save you the job of hunting down the information yourself.
Manduka PRO Yoga And Pilates Mat
- ✔ The PRO Series is certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX️
- ✔ Lifetime Warranty offered when sold and shipped by Amazon.com
- ✔ Unmatched grip and support
- ✔ High-density Closed-cell surface prevents sweat from seeping into the comfortable mat cushion
or Choose Your Preferred Region
Whether you are practicing yoga at home or are going to a yoga studio, having a right yoga mat can make a big difference in making your yoga session comfortable and enjoyable. A mat defines your space. It forms a definite area that can be controlled, making it easier for a yogi to move his body around and relax. Using a yoga mat or a pilates mat provide your toes, hands, and fingers grip better during exercising and help prevent you from slipping, thereby reducing the risk of injury. Additionally, using a mat encourages proper body alignment and helps you hold your pose for a longer period of time, thereby improving your overall health. So, if you are looking for the best exercise mat and are not sure which one you should get, buying the Manduka Pro yoga and Pilates mat would be a wise decision.
Manduka Pro Yoga And Pilates Mat: Features
• Standard: 71” x 26”, 7.5lbs, 6mm thick
• Long: 85” x26”, 9.5lbs, 6mm thick
• 100% latex free, non-toxic
• Performance grip improves over time
• Comes with Lifetime Guarantee
Manduka Pro Yoga And Pilates Mat: Pros
- Durable: Made of high-quality materials, this mat will never flake, fade or peel. Moreover, since the mat comes with a lifetime guarantee, any pro mat that arrives in what Manduka say “less than standard quality” can be replaced immediately. In addition, if your Manduka pro mat wears out from regular normal use, Manduka will replace it.
- Comfortable: One of the greatest benefits of Manduka Pro yoga and Pilates mat is thickness. The mat is so padded, that users practicing yoga or Pilates on the mat will not be able to feel the floor. While the ultra-dense cushioning helps protect your joints when practicing yoga poses like Boat or Camel, it has provide a stable cushiony surface for Pilate students who need to do a significant amount of spinal rolling exercises and exercise on their back and stomach. Additionally, the mat features fabric like surface and patented dot –pattern surface that prevents you from slipping when doing pilates or yoga workout.
- Convenient Size: Another great benefit of this pr mat from Manduka is its convenient size – 24” wide and 68 inches long (average yoga mat). The mat provides a lot of room to practice yoga poses and is a great option for restorative yoga, pilates or any other practice the requires a lot of floor work.
- Easy to Maintain: The structure of the mat features” closed cells” on both the sides. As a result, it does not allow moisture, sweat or dirt to get into it, making it easy for you to clean it and keep it sanitary. Because these mats prevent moisture from getting trapped within it, these mats are a great choice for those who practice hot yoga.
- Eco- Friendly: The primary mission of Manduka is to design yoga mats that will potentially last a lifetime, the company helps minimise the amount of PVC sent off to landfills every year. Manduka Pro mats are Oeko- tex certified and are being manufactured free from toxic emissions and waste.
Manduka Pro Yoga And Pilates Mat: Cons
- The Break-in Period: Due the manufacturing process, the mat may require a breaking in period. This means users may find a new mat slippery when doing their exercises on it. However, though the sliminess does disappear with regular use, applying a thin coat of coarse sea salt on the surface of the mat and then scrubbing it off gently with a stiff brush before leaving it out to dry in the sun will also help get rid of the greasiness.
- Bulky: Since the mat is extra – cushiony and also denser, it is not travel- friendly and is best suited for home- practice. Additionally, due to the extra- cushioning, users may initially find it difficult to do the standing and balancing poses and may require some practice to get their feet grip on the extra cushion.
Available in different colours, black magic (purple), black sage (dark green) black, black quest (light ocean blue), Black, Black bliss (light bluish grey) and black grace (rose on one side and black on the other), Manduka Pro yoga and Pilates mat can help revolutionise your yoga and pilates sessions, bringing the greatness of nature and goodness of healthy lifestyle in one.
Not Eco Friendly
In order to produce the Manduka Pro yoga mat there must be some toxic glue or foam used that isn’t exactly environmentally friendly, otherwise there wouldn’t need to be an ‘eko’ range at all. However even if there is more toxic material being used to produce this than some of their other products, because it has a Lifetime Warranty, you wouldn’t have to replace it for the duration of your yoga experience. So even if it’s a little bit more toxic to make, it’s OK because you’re not expecting to throw this away, it’s not going to sit in a landfill somewhere.
The Manduka Pro Yoga Mat Box Opening
So initially you’re presented with very nice ‘Pro’ packaging which is a psychological thing I guess. Whenever you have an option between a “Pro” something versus a something else, you want to go with the Pro. Upon opening the box there’s a little bit of a plastic smell. It’s not too bad, no more than you’d expect from any brand new yoga mat I’d imagine. You hear about off-gassing of these yoga mats so I think we can accept this level of ‘plastic smell’ without issue. No unnecessary plastic wrap or packaging which is always a good thing to see.
The Manduka Pro Yoga Mat Roll Out
First thing you notice is just how thick the Manduka Pro yoga mat really is. It really is an impressive thickness and when rolled out fully offers lots of support for your hands and feet. Something to note is just how good the slip resistance is on this mat. In comparison to the mat I’ve been using for the past couple of years it’s grip to the floor is far superior.
Something worth noting here is that although this particular mat was specified as 26 inches wide, the version we received was slightly wider than that. No complaints I suppose, if it was slightly less than 26 inches perhaps we’d feel cheated but perhaps worth noting that the dimensions might not be absolutely precise.
When you’re using a yoga mat, it’s quite common for you to get moisture on the mat. Whether from a water bottle, the elements (as many practise yoga outside) or simply from your own body sweat, you will be interested to hear about Maduka’s ‘closed cell construction’ technology.
Manduka makes a pretty big point about how it’s ‘closed-cell’ which means water, moisture, and therefore bacteria, wouldn’t be able to get into the foam here – which lends itself to its durability and longevity.
So if you think your yoga mat could be exposed to moisture on a regular basis it may be worth considering a the Manduka Pro yoga mat or at least one of the other Manduka yoga mats available from their range.
Colour or Cash
When writing this review we noticed that depending on the colour of the Manduka Pro yoga mat you chose, the price was substantially different. So if you’ve got a colour in mind then thats great but if you’re not so fussed about the colour and you’d rather save some cash then it’s worth browsing the choices on hand. You might find a nice discount is to be had.